KDE e.V. Travel Cost Reimbursement Policy
The KDE e.V. can reimburse travel costs for trips which are useful for fullfilling the goals of the KDE e.V.. This policy describes the requirements and process for getting travel cost reimbursements from the KDE e.V.
KDE e.V. can only take over costs for non-profit things, that is according to the goals of KDE e.V. or for KDE e.V. running its business.
The following reasons are usually valid:
- Attending the general assembly of the KDE e.V. as a member
- Giving a talk at a KDE event
- Representing KDE at a conference or an important meeting
- Taking part in a developer sprint or other meeting as a KDE contributor
- You should first try to get your employer to pay for your trip, find a third party sponsor or consider paying for it from your own funds.
- If you wouldn't be able to attend the event because of the costs or paying for it yourself would be a great burden for you because you have no or a low income or the costs are especially high, you should request a reimbursement.
Big Community Events (Akademy, Camp KDE)
- The KDE e.V. usually reimburses up to 80% of the travel expenses for the cheapest reasonable way, subject to availability of funds. This covers transport like air fares or train tickets.
- If needed the KDE e.V. will additionally reimburse up to 25 EUR per night of accommodation costs, subject to availability of funds.
- In circumstances, where a contributor cannot even afford the remaining 20% (this usually only applies to people from outside Western Europe and North America), KDE e.V. can even pay 100% of your travel expenses.
Focused MeetingsFor focused meetings like developer sprint or representation of KDE at events, KDE e.V. takes over 100% on request. Food costs are usually not covered.
- You apply for a travel grant to the board (firstname.lastname@example.org) before the trip, stating your estimated expenses and declaring that neither your employer nor you can pay for it. If your travel is managed through sprints.kde.org, you do not need to apply for sponsorship with the board separately, as that is done in bulk by the organizer.
- Please provide the KDE e.V. board with the following information:
- Who you are, where you are from and where in KDE you are involved
- What's the purpose of your trip
- Why it is a good thing to sponsor you
- Why you need a subsidy
- What are your costs and how much should your subsidy be
- The board of the KDE e.V. decides about granting travel cost reimbursements based on the usefullness of the trip for the e.V., the need of the requestor and the availability of funds.
- The board notifies the requestor about acceptance of the reimbursement request and what and to what amount the e.V. will reimburse the costs.
- Usually you cannot get the money beforehand, you need to lay out the money. If you are not able to do that and there is a way for the e.V. to directly pay your expenses it's possible to make exceptions.
- It's not possible to pay any reimbursements without getting the e.V. proper receipts, invoices or proofs of payment.
- After the travel, you send in all receipts (the original ones) to the board of the KDE e.V. (email@example.com) with a summary of your costs. Scanned copies sent by e-mail is the preferred option. Fax and postal mail are possible but should be used in exceptional cases only.
- Please fill out a suitable expense report form and send it together with your receipts.
Generally, reimbursements will be transfered to bank or paypal accounts.
For transfers to bank accounts, the following information is needed:
- For EU (SWIFT) transfers: name of the account holder, name of the financial institution, SWIFT and IBAN numbers
- For transfers outside the EU: name of the account holder, name of the financial institution, account number, national bank code, postal address of the bank and the country
For transfers to paypal accounts, the following information is needed:
- The paypal id (in form of an email address)
SWIFT and Paypal tranfers are the preferred solutions. Non-SWIFT tranfers cause substantial fees, usually more than Paypal.
- After your trip please provide a report to the KDE e.V. membership about what you have done, how it helped KDE and what you have learned and experienced in relation to KDE during your trip.
- Please hand in the expense report form and the receipts not later than three months after your travel. Expenses handed in later will not be reimbursed. If there are well-justified reasons the board can make exceptions.
This policy is maintained by the board of the KDE e.V.